Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Letter to My Son

Dear Melvin,

I'll bet you're excited to not be called Melvin anymore. Unfortunately, I think this nickname, unlike your sister's, might stick. It's just so cute.

I'm overwhelmed with joy at the thought of meeting you tomorrow. A strange sense of calm has come over me the past few days (I rarely feel anything resembling calm), and I've gone into a "zone" where I spend most of my time during the day thinking about you: your face, your chubby cheeks, your tiny fingers wrapped around mine. I know it's nature's way of preparing me to take care of you, but it doesn't make it any less real or special to me.

So many people are anxiously awaiting your arrival. I'm glad you're being welcomed into a world where you will be so loved; I've met kids who didn't have that, and there's nothing in the world that saddens me more. I can't wait for you to meet your sister. She's amazing, just like you will be. She might not be interested in you at first, but she has difficulty focusing on things for more than 5 seconds at a time, so you'll have to forgive her.

I wonder about you....what will you care about, dream about, love, hate? Will you be like your father? I can't wait to find out the answers to these questions.

It's difficult to understand how I can love someone so much I've never met. I promise to give you my best, Melvin.

I'll see you tomorrow!
Love,
Mommy
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...